The modern businesses and industries in this 21st century demand more of cloud services regardless its sizes and geographies. The number of users with regards to the adopting AWS cloud is increasing drastically in both public and private sector. According to the report, it is been shared that, the companies who invest in cloud, mobility, and big data enjoy more than 50% of the revenue growth than their counterparts. More and More number of organizations are adopting cloud technology with the reason to run the business effectively and efficiently. Also, other reason is to serve the customers in a better way and to overall increase the margin rate of profit.
Well, with this said let us proceed further and continue with the article where we would share some of the basic advantages and disadvantages of migrating towards cloud services.
Benefits/ Advantages of AWS Cloud Computing Services
- Cost-effective: The cost of hardware and equipment is comparatively low as these services are free from capital expenditure. Here there is no need to have team of large IT executives to handle and maintain the operations of AWS cloud data centre operations. The overall maintenance cost is low and with that also the occurrence time is less. This means clearly that the organizations do not have to spend a huge amount of money for fixing the potential issues. Cloud computing works on the principle of pay-as-you-go, which means you need to pay money only for the services that you use, and you need not invest in additional features that do not serve you. Companies need to pay for servers and infrastructure as and when needed. More services can be commissioned for times of need and the services not being used can be de-provisioned. This further cuts down the expenditure. Owing to the ROI of these technologies, the return is much higher than the costs.
- Scalability: Using the process of AWS cloud services, it is that companies has an option to scale up or down their IT departments according to their business needs and requirements. It is that the you can upgrade the capacity of your cloud without investing in physical infrastructure. Hence these services are ideal for companies with volatile bandwidth demands. The cloud computing service provider handles the expensive upgrades and their installations. The scalability provided by these services reduces the risks with operational failures and maintenance. This also leads to time-effective solutions as most of the complicated tasks are handled by your cloud service providers. Hence the demands are in alignment with the workloads. An example of the scalability feature of cloud computing is in sales promotion; the capacity can be scaled when the sales promotion is very popular, and when the sale is over, the capacity can be cut down to reduce the cost.
- Mobility: For more and better inclusion, cloud services are easily accessible on smartphones and mobile devices. According to a report, over 2.6 billion smartphones are being used around the world for cloud services. It is also beneficial for people staying away from their corporate offices, as they can easily access these services from their point of convenience and keep themselves updated with the clients and their work.
- Data security: Data security is one of the biggest concern for many of the organization when they are planning to adopt cloud-based services. With the increased ratio of data theft in organizations, it becomes very important as well as priority to secure data, files, and downloads. Cloud services provide encryption of data being shared over multiple networks and data that are stored in the database. The data can be easily restored if something goes down with your device. Also, the unwanted data can be deleted from the other locations so as to avoid the data being shared in falling to wrong hands. Cloud storage providers implement baseline protections for their platforms and the data they process, such as authentication, access control, and encryption.
- Disaster recovery: The control system to deal with any situation is a deciding factor for the success of any business. Though many measures are taken to prepare for potential risks that might occur, there are situations that go out of control. A downtime of small duration can severely affect your revenue. Apart from this, data loss is a major concern for all organizations. The data stored in the cloud can be easily restored and recovered even when your physical system goes down. Cloud-based services provide quick and effective data recovery from most of the potential emergency conditions like power outages and natural disasters.
- Automatic updates: Your system will be regularly updated by your cloud computing service provider. Hence this saves the trouble of waiting for the system updated to get installed. This also saves the efforts of the IT department to keep a check on the new updates being introduced and install them. Immediate upgrades put new features and functionality provided automatically into workers’ control to make them more productive. Software enhancements are typically released quite frequently unlike the homegrown or purchased software that might have major new releases only once a year or so and take significant time to roll out.
- Enhanced collaboration: For businesses operating with a large number of employees, collaboration among them is a priority. Cloud computing facilitates this process. The members of a team can easily and securely view and share the data across a cloud-based platform. To enhance the engagement of the employees, some of these services provide social spaces to connect the employees. The cloud services authorize a diverse group of people virtually and allow them to share information through shared storage. If you are working on a project that is spread across different locations, you could use cloud computing to give employees, clients and third parties access to the same files. You could also choose from the different cloud computing models to make it easy for you to share your records with your managers and higher authority.
Disadvantages of cloud computing:
Let us proceed further and have a look at some of the disadvantages of the service that are associated while undertaking AWS cloud computing services.
- Downtime: The first and the basic thing that needs to be taken care of is to have a very good and strong internet connection. This is the demand for the AWS cloud computing services. The cloud computing service provider may face power outage, internet connectivity loss, or service maintenance that might affect your process. If your internet speed is slow, it might affect the process adversely, since most of the services are online.
- Lower bandwidth: Many cloud service providers limit the bandwidth range of usage. If the need occurs to expand the bandwidth, then it might increase the cost.
- Limited control: The services of AWS Cloud Computing is entirely managed and owned by the service providers who are owing to the team of service providers and operating remotely. Hence the employees have limited control over backend features.
- Security threat in the cloud: The fear of having the data theft increases to a greater extent. This is possible because the entire data is available online with the cloud. You should be well aware of the fact that all your company’s sensitive information is being shared with a third-party cloud computing service provider. Thus it should be trustworthy enough since hackers might have accessed this information. Though the cloud computing vendors ensures that their services have sophisticated data security systems, but there have been many occurrences of data breaches via hacking, a disgruntled employee, or careless username/password security.
- Vendor lock-in: There would be a possibility that the company may face some of the serious challenges when undertaking the challenge to migrate from one cloud computing vendor to another. It might lead to configuration complexities, support issues, and hence additional charges
Over to You:
On reading this post, it is very much clear and understandable that what are the advantages and disadvantages of having AWS cloud computing services. We at Cloud Stack Group is the leading cloud expert company that adhere to follow all the necessary process to make sure that the clients server is safe and secure with AWS services.
Not only this we also assure our clients that once we receive the project that requires migration, we are always there for our clients and with that we commit to serve them all 365 days a year and with providing 24*7 services.
Feel free to connect with us or get free quotation for the service or an idea and overview so as to make you know more in details about the importance of the service and why there is a need for it.